The Miracle Of Crybaby Shottan
- Saturday, June 1, 14:30 Mousonturm Saal
Nakimushi shottan no kiseki
- Japan 2018, 127 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director: Toshiaki TOYODA
- Script: Toshiaki TOYODA based on a novel by Shoji SEGAWA
- Production: “The Miracle of Crybaby Shottan” Project Partners
- Camera: Norimichi KASAMATSU
- World sales: WOWOW
- Cast: Ryuhei MATSUDA, Yojiro NODA, Kento NAGAYAMA, Shota SOMETANI, Kiyohiko SHIBUKAWA
- German premiere in the presence of the director and the actor Kiyohiko SHIBUKAWA
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
The life of a Shogi (Japanese chess) player requires utmost commitment. Whoever does not achieve a certain rank by the age of 26 loses any and all chance of becoming a professional player. At 26, Shoji finds himself in a situation where only a miracle can help. In his latest picture, director Toshiaki TOYODA combines a sensitive character portrait with a fascinating study of a parallel society.
Toshiaki TOYODA was born in Osaka Prefecture in 1969 and was still a child when he began playing professional Shogi. He began his film career as a scriptwriter for Junji SAKAMOTO. His films have regularly been screened internationally ever since he debuted in 1998 with PORNOSTAR (1998 / NC '00). Works of his screened at NIPPON CONNECTION include BLUE SPRING (2002 / NC '02), THE BLOOD OF REBIRTH (2009 / NC '10), and I'M FLASH (2012 / NC '13).