- Thursday, May 30, 22:30 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Saturday, June 1, 17:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2018, 109 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Kenji KATAGIRI
- Script: Kenji KATAGIRI, Tatsuya UMEMOTO
- Production: Phantom Film, Culture Entertainment, C&I Entertainment
- Camera: Tomoo EZAKI
- World sales: Phantom Film
- Cast: Elaiza IKEDA, Joe ODAGIRI, Kiyohiko SHIBUKAWA, Kentaro, Kaoru MITSUMUNE
- German premiere in the presence of the actor Kiyohiko SHIBUKAWA
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Having lost her parents early in her life, Miko was raised by her somewhat shady uncle Goro. He uses Miko’s talent to see ghosts to cleanse apartments in which someone was murdered or committed suicide. Kenji KATAGIRI’s debut film skillfully combines fantasy, drama, and comedy. Surrounded by a cast of experienced colleagues, young Elaiza IKEDA delivers a brilliant performance in the leading role.
Kenji KATAGIRI was born in Osaka in 1979 and was already making 8mm films when he was in high school. After graduating, he worked in France for three years as the assistant for Yann Dedet, the editor for Francois Truffaut. He returned to Japan in 2003 and gathered experience as an assistant director for various filmmakers, including Yoichi SAI, Ryuichi HIROKI, and Toshiaki TOYODA. ROOM LAUNDERING is his first feature film and was supported by the Tsutaya Creators' Program.