Lying To Mom
- Thursday, May 30, 19:30 Mousonturm Saal
Suzukike no uso
- Japan 2018, 133 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director & script: Katsumi NOJIRI
- Camera: Masato NAKAO
- Production & world sales: Shochiku
- Cast: Hideko HARA, Ittoku KISHIBE, Mai KIRYU, Ryo KASE, Kayoko KISHIMOTO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
The suicide of her son Koichi causes his mother Yuko to fall into a short coma. After she regains consciousness, her family realizes that Yuko lost all memories of her son’s death – and starts pretending that he is still alive. Based on real experiences, Katsumi NOJIRI’s feature debut turns out to be a surprisingly effective and deeply moving combination of both melodramatic and comedic elements.
Katsumi NOJIRI was born in Saitama Prefecture in 1974. After his studies at the Tokyo Polytechnic University, he began his film career as an assistant director for various major artists, including Toshiaki TOYODA, Yuya ISHII, and Kazuyoshi KUMAKIRI. He gathered his first experiences as a director and screenwriter with the drama series CHAT NOIR LUCY and a few direct-to-video films. LYING TO MOM is his first feature film.