- Thursday, May 30, 19:45 Naxoshalle Kino
Boku wa Iesusama ga kirai
- Japan 2018, 77 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director, script & camera: Hiroshi OKUYAMA
- Production: Closing Remarks
- World sales: Nikkatsu
- Cast: Yura SATO, Riki OKUMA, Chad Mullane, Yuko KIBIKI, Akko TADANO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Ten-year-old Yura moves with his parents from Tokyo to his grandmother in rural Japan. There, he must attend the Christian school and has to adjust to its beliefs and daily worships. Puzzled at first, he begins to believe in the power of the Lord, as a tiny Jesus appears, who seems to fulfill all his wishes. JESUS is a genuine and sensitive portrait of a boy making up his own mind about the world.
Born in 1996, Hiroshi OKUYAMA began creating his first films in high school, before receiving an invitation to Kyoto International Art and Film Festival for his music video GRADUATION PARTY in 2014. During his study at the Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo, he created, amongst others, the short film TOKYO 21ST OCTOBER (2018), which was shown at the Busan International Film Festival, and his first feature film JESUS. OKUYAMA received the Kutxabank-New Directors Award of the prestigious San Sebastián International Film Festival for JESUS in 2018 and has thereby become the youngest recipient of this award in the history of the festival.
- Supporting film: Tokyo 21st October
- by Hiroshi OKUYAMA, J 2018, 12 min, Japanese with English subtitles