It’s Boring Here, Pick Me Up
- Thursday, May 30, 14:00 Mousonturm Saal
- Friday, May 31, 17:00 Mal Seh’n Kino
Koko wa taikutsu mukae ni kite
- Japan 2018, 98 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director: Ryuichi HIROKI
- Script: Tomonari SAKURAI based on a novel by Mariko YAMAUCHI
- Production: “It’s Boring Here, Pick Me Up” Production Committee
- Camera: Tomoyuki MIZUGUCHI
- World sales: Colorbird
- Cast: Ai HASHIMOTO, Mugi KADOWAKI, Ryo NARITA, Daichi WATANABE, Yurina YANAGI
- European premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
This incredibly sensitive film follows a large cast over the course of a decade as they seek to gain a foothold in life and society. The ambitious structure, detailed dialogue, gliding camera and select details add a knockout emotional punch to this complex portrait of a generation.
Born in Fukushima prefecture in 1954, Ryuichi HIROKI is a highly productive filmmaker who learned his trade in pink films before making his own debut with SEIGYAKU! in 1982. Receiving a number of awards, he had his breakthrough in 2003 with VIBRATOR. He is a regular guest at the NIPPON CONNECTION film festival and last presented two films in 2015, KABUKICHO LOVE HOTEL and HER GRANDDAUGHTER.