- Thursday, May 30, 16:45 Mousonturm Saal
- Sunday, June 2, 17:45 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Japan 2018, 126 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 16 or older
- Director: Shinsuke SATO
- Script: Hiroshi HASHIMOTO based on a manga by Hiroya OKU
- Production: Inuyashiki Production Committee
- Camera: Taro KAWAZU
- World sales: Pony Canyon
- Cast: Noritake KINASHI, Takeru SATO, Kanata HONGO, Fumi NIKAIDO, Ayaka MIYOSHI
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Shortly after 58-year-old family man Inuyashiki and high school student Shishigami survive an explosion, they both discover their bodies have transformed into machines with superhuman powers. But while Inuyashiki uses his new abilities for the benefit of humankind, Shishigami pursues a personal vendetta. INUYASHIKI is action-packed popcorn entertainment, yet one that draws a grim picture of a society completely lacking in solidarity.
Shinsuke SATO, born in Hiroshima Prefecture in 1970, began his career as a short film director and screenwriter while still studying at Musashino Art University. After distinguishing himself as a screenwriter for films by Jun ICHIKAWA and Isao YUKISADA in the late 1990s, he had his international breakthrough as a director with THE PRINCESS BLADE (2001). Since then, he has gained recognition for the realization of numerous successful live-action adaptations of popular mangas, such as GANTZ (2011 / NC ’11), I AM A HERO (2016 / NC ’17) and DEATH NOTE: LIGHT UP THE NEW WORLD (2016 / NC ’17). He also directed the animated feature OBLIVION ISLAND: HARUKA AND THE MAGIC MIRRORS (2009) which won the NIPPON CINEMA AWARD in 2010.