- Friday, May 31, 22:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Saturday, June 1, 22:45 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Japan 2018, 124 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 16 or older
- Director: Nobuhiro YAMASHITA
- Script: Kosuke MUKAI based on a manga by Caribu Marley and Takashi IMASHIRO
- Production: Kadokawa, Happinet
- Camera: Futa TAKAGI
- World sales: Kadokawa
- Cast: Takayuki YAMADA, Yoshiyoshi ARAKAWA, Takeru SATO, Takuzo KUBIKUKURI, Kei ISHIBASHI
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
With a sense of dry humor, director Nobuhiro YAMASHITA’s new comedy follows Ukon, a pure-hearted guy strangely prone to sudden outbursts of violence, and his homeless friend Ushiyama. They earn some money by working as miners for an old nationalist activist who believes in the existence of a hidden treasure in an abandoned mine. One day, Ushiyama finds a time-worn robot. “Robo” becomes a loyal companion to both friends and helps them out of more than one predicament.
Nobuhiro YAMASHITA, born in Aichi in 1976, studied at Osaka University of Arts and started his career at Planet Studyo +1 in Osaka. His feature film debut HAZY LIFE (1999 / NC ’00), an international success, was screened in 2000 at the first NIPPON CONNECTION Film Festival and won the Off Theatre Prize at Yubari International Fantastic Film Festival. He had his commercial breakthrough with the comedy LINDA LINDA LINDA (2005 / NC ’08). Establishing his distinctive style with his further works such as A GENTLE BREEZE IN THE VILLAGE (2007 / NC ’07), TAMAKO IN MORATORIUM (2013 / NC ’14) and OVER THE FENCE (2016 / NC ’17), YAMASHITA has become one of the major protagonists of the Japanese film industry.