Dare To Stop Us
- Friday, May 31, 13:45 Mousonturm Saal
Tomerareru ka, oretachi o
- Japan 2018, 118 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Kazuya SHIRAISHI
- Script: Junichi INOUE
- Production: Wakamatsu Production, Skhole, HiCROSS Cinematography
- Camera: Tomohiko TSUJI
- World sales: Wakamatsu Production
- Cast: Mugi KADOWAKI, Arata IURA, Hiroshi YAMAMOTO, Shinobu TERAJIMA, Eiji OKUDA
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
Tokyo 1969: young Megumi gets hired by the production company of Koji WAKAMATSU, revolutionary enfant terrible of the Japanese underground film scene. As Megumi comes to be accepted as an equal by her colleagues, her self-doubt concerning her own artistic creativity starts to grow. Kazuya SHIRAISHI finds an extraordinary perspective for his story, reviving the wild years of Japanese cinema.
Kazuya SHIRAISHI was born in Hokkaido Prefecture in 1974. After his studies at a private film school, he worked as an assistant director for Koji WAKAMATSU and Isao YUKISADA, among others. He gave his debut in 2010 with LOST PARADISE IN TOYKO. THE DEVIL’S PATH (2013) earned him a Japan Academy Award nomination as Best Director. NIPPON CONNECTION has screened his films DAWN OF THE FELINES (2017 / NC ’17), BIRDS WITHOUT NAMES (2017 / NC ’18) and THE BLOOD OF WOLVES (2018 / NC ’18). He received the Blue Ribbon Award as Best Director in 2017 and 2018.