Asako I & II
- Wednesday, May 29, 17:30 Mal Seh’n Kino
- Sunday, June 2, 16:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan / France 2018, 119 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director: Ryusuke HAMAGUCHI
- Script: Sachiko TANAKA, Ryusuke HAMAGUCHI based on a novel by Tomoka SHIBASAKI
- Production: Nagoya Broadcasting Network, Bitters End, Comme of the Cinémas
- Camera: Yasuyuki SASAKI
- Music: tofubeats
- World sales: mk2
- Cast: Masahiro HIGASHIDE, Erika KARATA, Koji SETO, Rio YAMASHITA, Sairi ITO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
One day, the man Asako thought she would spend her life with suddenly disappears. Two years later, she meets his perfect double. But her troubles are far from over. Director Ryusuke HAMAGUCHI’s film manages to be psychologically nuanced and ambiguous, yet full of humor at the same time. The impressive score and elaborate photography provide additional heft to the main themes.
Ryusuke HAMAGUCHI, born 1978 in the Kanagawa prefecture, is a film director and screenwriter and passed the graduate program in film at Tokyo University of the Arts. In 2015, his movie HAPPY HOUR won all four of its main stars the best actress award, as well as receiving a special mention for its script at the Locarno film festival.